The development strategy of the Department was recorded during the external evaluation in 2013 (noted that some aspects are currently in progress). It concerns a multifaceted effort to achieve objectives that ensure the Department's smooth operation, bypassing external inhibitory factors, mainly imposed by the adverse economic situation of the country, when possible.
The strategic plan has identified the required actions and objectives, which are listed below:
1. Supporting the operation of a new and flexible Undergraduate Curriculum which is already in its first year of operation and the monitoring of the evaluation indices by the student’s community.
2. Organizing and developing new, internationally oriented, Postgraduate Programs (MScs).
3. Supporting the creation of the Personal Study Advisor for each student. This institution is already operational with a substantial number of recorded positive results.
4. Maintaining the internal evaluation by continuously reinforcing the actions that support it (e.g. encouraging students to participate in it, promoting the respective website). Ensuring the quality of studies at the Department is a key objective of the strategic planning.
5. Designing a strategy based on the new scientific trends that are developing internationally (e.g. social media, augmented reality, 3D graphics, mobile technologies, digital media), so that the Department can follow the international developments in the curricula, while at the same time it is prepared to respond optimally to the announcing posts for new faculty members, in case the Greek State provides such an opportunity.
6. Identifying and utilizing funding frameworks (national and international resources) to support research at the level of research laboratories aiming at attracting new scientific potential (Ph.D. Candidates and Post-doctoral Research Fellows) while empowering its research profile.
7. Identifying and utilizing funding frameworks (national and international resources) for the management, maintenance, and renewal of the educational lab equipment.
8. Strengthening the cooperation of the Department with the local community of Lesvos. The cooperation has already been warmly welcomed in this field.
9. Improving the Department's research extroversion by both developing new ones while at the same time enhancing the already existing collaborations with Departments of the University of the Aegean, Departments of Other Universities in Greece and Universities Abroad (e.g. attracting International Research Programs, establishing Summer Schools, initiating and maintaining Erasmus collaborations by facilitating mobilities for students and staff, while incorporating courses in English to the Departments curriculum to facilitate Erasmus exchanges, etc.).
10. Organizing and designing the repositioning to the new classrooms, the new research laboratories, and the new offices upon the completion of the forthcoming buildings of the University of the Aegean in Mytilene, according to the research and training needs of the faculty members and their respective staff laboratories (educational and research).